Minutes from OCVT Action & Gathering Saturday, June 16th, 2012
Minutes from Working Group meet up in Montpelier
Note: small group present, rather than break out into separate working groups, we chose to form a single group discussion
Present: Sue, Margaret, Marie, John, Dell, Diane, Christian, Mark, Cheyenne, Colin, Yeshua
Note: Open agenda / stack taken
Margaret’s informal proposal
- for the last Saturday of June (6/30) – to meet @ her house in W. Topsham, 3-5pm, with a pot luck dinner afterwards
- Ask Facilitation Working Group for help organizing: get word out & coordinate rides
- proposed topic for discussion – what is a movement?
Education & Empowerment – open to topics for July’s Teach-in
- Kate’s Thesis (notes missed topic, sorry..)
- movie screening, suggestions: Made in Dagenham, Margin Call, Inside Job
Direct Action Working Group – Today’s Action @ Citizen’s Bank
- 11am on Saturday @ Citizen’s on Main St in Montpelier – very few customers
- we went to the Farmer’s market instead, handed out a lot of fliers and engaged people for discussion – far more fruitful
- Our current plan to proceed:
- Friday, 4-5pm @ Citizen’s Bank – see if foot traffic is higher / makes more sense?
- Saturday, 11am-12pm @ Farmer’s Market – every Saturday for now on – mic-check / speak-outs / poetry jam / engage people
Next Week is the Village Building Convergence – Occupiers will join forces with Transition Towners for 2 days of workshops and fun!
Next Pop-up Occupation – where & when?
Plainfield – issue: Biomass Plant @ Goddard
oh, by the way… while we’re on this topic..
- planned & announced without consultation with neighbors
- there is an Act 250 meeting coming up, has been postponed and not yet rescheduled
- we seem to be in support of the community, but maybe we should research the history of this issue some more and possibly write a statement of support for the neighbors & greater Plainfield community, to be submitted to Act 250
- any takers? – Yeshua offered to write up first draft
- John may also have some information on contacts, will share with Yeshua
Barre – Occupy Barre is meeting this coming Tuesday 6/19 @ 5pm in front of City Hall – discuss here first
Marshfield – Issue: poverty – Food Shelf need is on the rise (like 5x a few years ago..)
possible workshops / talks:
- Food Shelf Experience – Marshfield Coordinator
- Food Sovereignty – Yeshua
- Time Banking / Gift Economies – maybe Marie w/ others?
where in Marshfield is an open question, options aren’t the best
Decisions will be futher solidified after meeting up with Occupy Barre - we need representatives to go to their meeting!
OCVT Parade Presences:
- July 3rd in Montpelier @6pm
- July 4th in Cabot (morning)
- ENCOURAGE INVOLVEMENT!