Converge on the Governor’s Conference!
07/13/2012 in Solidarity Actions!
Resist the Conference of New England Governors and Eastern Premiers!
July 29-31, 2012
This July 29th-31st the political and economic elite of the Northeast are meeting in Burlington, VT for the 36th Conference of New England Governors and Eastern Canadian Premiers. In closed door meetings at the golf course and dinner table, greenwashed resolutions for trade, energy, climate change, transportation and infrastructure policies for the region will be developed. The conference will be co-chaired by Vermont Governor Shumlin and Quebec Premier Jean Charest.
The People are Organizing Too!
- Vermont social and environmental groups are working together to build collaborative movements for health care, migrant justice, town & tribal forests, education and economic justice.
- New England residents are organizing to defend our communities from major new infrastructure projects, including the transport of Tar Sands oil through New England, a private mega-highway across the north of Maine, and the Northern Pass transmission lines cutting through New Hampshire.
- Across Quebec, indigenous Innu communities and environmental groups are resisting Premier Charest’s proposed Plan Nord, a 25 year $80 billion dollar industrial development scheme for mega dams, logging and mines in northern Quebec.
- Students in Quebec and Occupy activists are struggling against debt, state violence and repression of dissent while environmentalists throughout Canada are resisting Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s attack on ecosystems and democracy.
- We act in solidarity with all the beautiful rebels and revolutionaries across the world fighting for self-determination, sustainability and direct democracy!