02/22/2013 in GET UP GET OUT!
You are browsing the archive for GET UP GET OUT!.
Next Saturday, June 30, Occupy meeting at Margaret’s house
1-3 p.m.: Come early to hang out, hike, lie in the hammock, problem solve (I’ll provide some problems), nap, play badminton, pick flowers, do artwork, etc.
(It’s supposed to be a sunny, warm day–so this slightly cooler spot might have some appeal, especially for those picketing at the farmer’s market
in the morning.)
Children, significant others, family members are most welcome to come along, and join in discussion (or not), supper, campfire, etc.. Toys,
beds, and childcare available.
3-5 p.m.: Occupy discussion:
- 15 minutes: reflection and evaluation of our part in the Convergence
- 15 minutes: July pop-up: when, where, and what (DAWG)
- 90 minutes: What is a Movement? (facilitated by Margaret); an overview of social movements in our lifetimes and how we envision the Occupy Movement.
5-7 p.m.: pot-luck supper (I’ll provide some potato salad, brownies, and apple juice)
7 on: campfire (an opportunity for informal sharing, music, etc.)–help initiate my new fire pit.
Camping overnight is also an option if you want to bring your own tents and sleeping bags.
(You might also want to bring bug spray, and other outdoor protections, as well as folding chairs if you have one–if not, I have some chairs
P.S. I have two dogs and two cats, but we will meet in a fur-free room if you have allergies.
Please contact tech[at]occupycentralvt.org for directions and/or additional contact info.
Post rideshare requests in the comments below, or speak up on the discussion email list.
Minutes from Working Group meet up in Montpelier
Note: small group present, rather than break out into separate working groups, we chose to form a single group discussion
Present: Sue, Margaret, Marie, John, Dell, Diane, Christian, Mark, Cheyenne, Colin, Yeshua
Note: Open agenda / stack taken
Margaret’s informal proposal
- for the last Saturday of June (6/30) – to meet @ her house in W. Topsham, 3-5pm, with a pot luck dinner afterwards
- Ask Facilitation Working Group for help organizing: get word out & coordinate rides
- proposed topic for discussion – what is a movement?
Education & Empowerment – open to topics for July’s Teach-in
- Kate’s Thesis (notes missed topic, sorry..)
- movie screening, suggestions: Made in Dagenham, Margin Call, Inside Job
Direct Action Working Group – Today’s Action @ Citizen’s Bank
- 11am on Saturday @ Citizen’s on Main St in Montpelier – very few customers
- we went to the Farmer’s market instead, handed out a lot of fliers and engaged people for discussion – far more fruitful
- Our current plan to proceed:
- Friday, 4-5pm @ Citizen’s Bank – see if foot traffic is higher / makes more sense?
- Saturday, 11am-12pm @ Farmer’s Market – every Saturday for now on – mic-check / speak-outs / poetry jam / engage people
Next Week is the Village Building Convergence – Occupiers will join forces with Transition Towners for 2 days of workshops and fun!
Next Pop-up Occupation – where & when?
Plainfield – issue: Biomass Plant @ Goddard
oh, by the way… while we’re on this topic..
- planned & announced without consultation with neighbors
- there is an Act 250 meeting coming up, has been postponed and not yet rescheduled
- we seem to be in support of the community, but maybe we should research the history of this issue some more and possibly write a statement of support for the neighbors & greater Plainfield community, to be submitted to Act 250
- any takers? – Yeshua offered to write up first draft
- John may also have some information on contacts, will share with Yeshua
Barre – Occupy Barre is meeting this coming Tuesday 6/19 @ 5pm in front of City Hall – discuss here first
Marshfield – Issue: poverty – Food Shelf need is on the rise (like 5x a few years ago..)
possible workshops / talks:
- Food Shelf Experience – Marshfield Coordinator
- Food Sovereignty – Yeshua
- Time Banking / Gift Economies – maybe Marie w/ others?
where in Marshfield is an open question, options aren’t the best
Decisions will be futher solidified after meeting up with Occupy Barre - we need representatives to go to their meeting!
OCVT Parade Presences:
- July 3rd in Montpelier @6pm
- July 4th in Cabot (morning)
- ENCOURAGE INVOLVEMENT!
Announcing the first in a summer series of Occupy microencampments, coming soon to a town near you!
Saturday, June 9th
Main St., Montpelier
Noon – 5 pm
* Parade to the Farmers Market
* People’s mic poetry readings
* Free food, and a free store
* Workshops: Organizing 101, Historical Roots of Occupy, Debt & Dysfunction
* Healing area: Herbs, massage, etc.
* People’s Library
* Occupy Central VT General Assembly (3-5 pm, Agenda t.b.a.)
Bring your ideas, creativity, and support for all the continuing struggles of the 99%!
Join Occupy Central VT on the move this summer for education, inspiration, and actions to address your community’s issues and needs!
Stay tuned for ongoing developments and Working Group updates here at occupycentralvt.org.
Vermont Yankee’s original 40 year license expired last night, 3/21/2012.
Today, Vermonters and our neighbors from Massachusetts and New Hampshire will join together to remind Entergy of their responsibility to heed to the will of The People – Vermont Yankee must be SHUT DOWN NOW!
JOIN US AS WE GATHER TODAY ON THE BRATTLEBORO COMMONS
for a day of action against Entergy, Judge Murtha and all Corrupt Systems who unjustly continue to risk our lives with nuclear power
11 AM – 6PM today
but we won’t stop till the plant is
permanently shut down !
more information can be found on the SAGE Alliance website here