05/31/2012 in Direct Action WG
DAWG Meeting Minutes – May 30, 2012
Present: Sue, Brian, Margaret, Dell, & John (representing the E & E WG)
1. Pop-Up in Montpelier June 9 (noon – 5)
- Parade through Farmers’ Market to site; set up (noon – 1:00) – Bethany will lead – Sue has costumes, signs, OCVT banner
NEEDS: People to march!
kazoos, drum(s), . . .
- At the site (1:00 – 3:00)
- “Caravan” – Margaret – parked in front to announce
- Library & Literature
- Free Store
- Free Food
NEEDS: 3-4 tables; canopies of some sort; food offerings; store offerings
- People’s Mic (Arts WG)
- Education & Empowerment WG – presentations with Q & A time:
- Historical Context of the Occupy Movement – Jay (1:15 – 1:45)
- Debt & Dysfunction – John (1:45 – 2:15)
- Organizing 101 – Heather (2:15 – 2:45)
NEEDS: White board(s) – for schedule of events; perhaps for presenters(?)
(Chairs; canopy/tarp, if it’s rainy or really hot)
- Healing space . . .
- At the site (3:00 – 5:00) – General Assembly
OUR NEEDS from the GA & others:
- ** People participating in the parade, & hanging out at our Pop-Up Occupy site
- 4 canopies/awnings/tents
- 4 tables
- 1-2 white boards
- nutritious &/or yummy food offerings
- paper plates, cups, plastic utensils
- miscellaneous tarps (to sit on or under)
- people to post our flyers in places beyond Montpelier
- Flyers to announce: Pop-Up Occupy in downtown Montpelier on June 9, noon – 5:00 – Sue will create; John will post in Montpelier
NEEDED: People to post flyers in other towns
- Announcement to send out to our e-mail list in advance – Brian will work on this
We are considering our Montpelier Pop-Up to be our try-out; we will meet the following Wednesday to assess how it went, and make plans for subsequent pop-ups.
Meanwhile, Brian will check with Heather about Barre connections . . .
2. Citizens Bank action – update: We continue to work on putting together an informational pamphlet about the issues, and alternative banking options. Heather has just received information from the Burlington group. Sue, Brian, & John agreed to work on creating a pamphlet when they get information from her (not this week, however). Brian will contact Gwen to get clear information about alternatives.
3. July 3rd parade in Montpelier – we have the basics (tent costumes, signs, banner) – encourage people to march and make a good showing!
4. Re. the Direct Action gathering in Philadelphia June 30 – July 3
Question for the GA: Does the GA want some members to go to Philly, to represent our group?
5. Next meeting: Weds., June 6th at 6 pm at 170A Cherry Tree Hill Rd. (off Towne Hill Rd.) in East Montpelier.